Monday, October 10, 2011

My First Blog

    So I'm finally posting my first blog. I really don't see the point of blogging for this class. It really just seems like a waste of time. I really don't expect anyone to comment or post on my blogs because my the extent of my writing will just be mindless boggle for the sake of getting points.
    Now that I've gotten that off my chest I'll get into some mindless boggle about my service experience. For the first seventeen hours I volunteered at a no kill dog shelter. I really loved working with the dogs and they seemed eager to get out and stretch their legs after being in cages all day. The people who work there however didn't seem so happy to have me as a volunteer. I didn't take it personally, it just seemed like they were friendly people. There was an old  man who looked he ran on nothing but cigarettes and monster energy drink. Judging by the heavy bags under his eyes and deep wrinkles in his face I could tell he had a hard life.
     There was also a woman who is always there. I wouldn't say she 's old but maybe the lifestyle she had cause her teeth to fall out and her eyes to sink in.
      When I first arrived to the shelter i was excited to be there, but my excitement soon turned to desperation, desperation for air as I stood inside the shelter inhaling clouds full of smoke from the cigarettes of the old man and lady. I stepped outside pretending that I was talking with someone on my phone while I was really sucking in fresh air. I soon realized that it would be a difficult feet to show up everyday in order to work with the dogs everyday while putting my lung health in jeopardy.

2 comments:

  1. Janaya,

    Yeah, it’s required and yeah, it feels kind of silly at times. But honestly, I know that I would not put as much thought into what I’m doing at the Veterans’ Home if I did not go back and spend the fifteen minutes necessary to explain to someone else what I’ve been doing. I also don’t think I’d be able to write as much as I do about the Veterans’ Home on a subject I just didn’t care about or hadn’t spent time on.

    All that said, it still is irritating to me too sometimes when I realize that I have to write a blog post. I hope that you can come to learn the things I am learning from the experience too though. Good luck.

    As for the mindless prattle thing, I am feeling your pain right now as I have clearly run out of things I actually wanted to say and year have a few more words to share. Oh well, ENGR 131 is 10 x as bad about making us do stupid things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenaya, just because you said that you don't expect people to post on your blogs, EXPECT me to comment all the time! Hehe. But I can definitely agree with you, I'm running out of things to say as well. At least we can pretend we're writing streams of consciousness to make the words pile up faster.
    Why do the employees not enjoy your being there? I'm glad you don't think so much of it, because I guess it would affect how I would work there if I knew they didn't approve of me for some reason. But it's good that you can be professional about serving there regardless of what the faculty think of you, especially if you've done nothing wrong.
    Secondhand smoking is painful...and I can't imagine what will happen if you continue to work there everyday breathing in that stuff. Are dogs even affected by the smoke?? Maybe you can ask the old man and lady politely? But how else will you be able to work there efficiently when you're intoxicating your lungs by their smoking?

    ReplyDelete